Some good friends of mine have a tomato farm and raise phenomenal heirloom tomatoes.
They were cleaning out their hothouses and gave me some of the spoils...
I peeled and seeded the tomatoes last night and made some homemade marinara sauce.
To peel tomatoes:
- Bring a big pot of water to a boil
- Have a bowl of ice water handy.
- Drop tomatoes in boiling water for about 10 seconds, then plunge in the ice water.
- Take core out with paring knife and then slip off skins.
- Slice tomatoes in half and squeeze out seeds (or just slide them out with your finger, I don't mind some seeds.
- Slice a few onions very thin. (I used two onions for the amount of tomatoes I had, maybe 15 lbs?)
- Sautee onions and garlic (I used 5 cloves) in olive oil until translucent.
- Add chopped fresh basil, oregano, pepper, bayleaf (whatever spices you will use.)
- Chop tomatoes in blender or food processor and add to pot. I save some and chop them to add texture.
- Cook and add red wine, salt, pepper to taste.
Will be good on some homemade pasta!