I made this recipe last night with some okra and peppers from my mom's garden.
*The recipe doesn't call for okra, but I like it and had it. Also I am allergic to celery and left
that out. The sausage I used was a turkey andouille. I short-cutted and used a rotisserie chicken to save a bit of time. Was delicious!
Sorry, no picture...
Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo with White Rice on the Food Network
My first attempt at gumbo and not the last!
Wednesday, July 27, 2011
Monday, July 11, 2011
Some good friends of mine have a tomato farm and raise phenomenal heirloom tomatoes.
They were cleaning out their hothouses and gave me some of the spoils...
I peeled and seeded the tomatoes last night and made some homemade marinara sauce.
To peel tomatoes:
- Bring a big pot of water to a boil
- Have a bowl of ice water handy.
- Drop tomatoes in boiling water for about 10 seconds, then plunge in the ice water.
- Take core out with paring knife and then slip off skins.
- Slice tomatoes in half and squeeze out seeds (or just slide them out with your finger, I don't mind some seeds.
- Slice a few onions very thin. (I used two onions for the amount of tomatoes I had, maybe 15 lbs?)
- Sautee onions and garlic (I used 5 cloves) in olive oil until translucent.
- Add chopped fresh basil, oregano, pepper, bayleaf (whatever spices you will use.)
- Chop tomatoes in blender or food processor and add to pot. I save some and chop them to add texture.
- Cook and add red wine, salt, pepper to taste.
Will be good on some homemade pasta!