I found this recipe online at RedChiles (a really cool food blog!) and tried it this past weekend.
They are great!
So EASY and CHEAP to make!
I doubled the recipe, and didn't have the chili pepper powder to add. Plus added a few things which I'll list on my recipe below. (My recipe also reflects the doubling and extra stuff...)
Next batch I make I'm not going to put as much garlic powder either, they were SOOO garlicky (and this coming from a major garlic lover!) I guess you can add any flavorings you prefer, or cheese...
- 1 cup Oats
- 2 cups all purpose flour*
- 8 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Sesame seeds (I think I added a bit more for fun)
- 4 tsp garlic powder (Next time I'll only use 1 or 2)
- 2 tsp sugar (I might leave this out too, just because I'm trying to watch sugars)
- Salt per taste
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Coarsely powder the oats (I used a small food processor,) then take a bowl and add the rest of the dry ingredients including sesame seeds and mix well.
- Melt the butter and add to the above mixture. This will form a bread crumb like consistency.
- Add water little by little and knead to stiff dough. Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into smaller portions.
- Then take small balls of dough and place it in between 2 greased waxed-paper sheets. Apply pressure and make it into flat disc. Remove the top cover and with the tip of your hands flatten the dough and make it as flat as possible. (I used a rolling pin.)
- Using a knife or pastry cutter to cut into small strips. Repeat this process with the remaining dough as well.
- Place the strips on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for about 10-15 minutes until they are light brown.
- Turn them over and bake for another 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool before snacking!
Yields: 80 sticks