Friday, August 14, 2009

Granola Girl


I love granola. I love making my own. I haven't quite found a recipe that I can go by all the time, but here's sort of the ones I follow (combined.) I do improvise with whatever I have in my cabinet at the time.

6 cups of oats or more (I use what's on sale, but Bob's Red Mill are my faves)
1 cup coconut (today I didn't have any)
2 cups wheat germ (sometimes I do flax seeds ground up or half and half)
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup chopped pecans
1 package of sunflower seeds (didn't have these today)
1 cup of baby oats or wheat flour
1 cup dried fruit (more or less to taste, I'm allergic to most fruit so I use dates, cherries, or apricots)
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 cup molasses
1 cup honey
1 stick or less of butter melted
Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, (or whatever floats your boat)

Put all dried ingredients in a large bowl and mix. Then take a microwavable measuring cup and place wet ingredients in there plus butter. Cook til butter melts. You can use juice if you don't want the honey/molasses, or part juice. Pour over dried ingredients in bowl and mix.
Bake at 350, checking every 5 minutes to stir, until lightly browned. (About 20 minutes or so total.) Just depends on how brown you like it. (I like my crispy to stand up in the milk!)
Store in the oatmeal containers!
*I'd love your input on granola. Here is a post to my friend's recipe. She is a fantastic cook!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin