|Biscuits with Honey and Petit Jean Bacon|
It's been said that I can make a mean biscuit...
Making biscuits is one of those things that isn't hard,
but that people tend to overthink and overwork.
REAL SALTED BUTTER
ACAST IRON SKILLET
The recipe I use is one based on a recipe taken from
the BHG- New Cook Book.
I modified it a bit (doubling and a few other small changes)
but it's basically the same recipe.
Makes about 10-12 large biscuits
4 cups of organic unbleached flour
2 Tablespoons of Baking Powder
4 Tablespoons of sugar (unbleached granulated)
1 teaspoon of cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup of butter (you can also use a combo of butter and coconut oil to equal 1 cup.)
1 1/3 cup of organic milk (possibly more depending on humidity.)
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Put about a tablespoon or two of oil in skillet and place in oven.
- In bowl stir together dry ingredients
- Cut in shortening with pastry cutter or hands until it resembles coarse crumbs (or peas.)
- Add milk and stir until dough just clings together. You may have to add more if dough is too dry. You want it to be moist but not mushy.
- On floured surface, knead dough GENTLY for 10 strokes.
- Pat into a rectangle shape gently and then roll to about 1/2 inch thickness.
- Fold in half and repeat twice.
- Dip a glass in flour and cut into biscuits.
- Transfer to hot skillet and bake about 12 minutes or until golden brown.