Saturday, April 17, 2010

Beet Salad (so springy!)

I LOVE the beet salad at Ya-Ya's, a restaurant my honey and I go occasionally,  usually sans kiddos.  The last time we were there I thought, "This has got to be the easiest salad on earth to make, why don't I ever make it?"

So tonight:
Beet Salad

  • Spring Mix of lettuces and arugula (whatever greens you have) 
  • Goat cheese, queso fresco, or feta (I'm using chevre) 
  • Some pickled beets (The recipe I found online used roasted beets, but I don't have any so I used the pickled.)
  • Slivered almonds (roast til light golden brown)
  • Section or slice an orange (or tangerine, or clementine...)
  • chopped green onions or sliced red onion
For  the dressing I took:
  • Juice of one orange
  • Juice of two lemons
  • 2 Tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
  • 4 Tablespoons olive oil (more or less)
  • Salt and pepper
  • fresh parsley
*Mix the dressing with a whisk and chill.
I tossed the greens and almonds with some dressing (yes, I used too much- will know better next time.) Then I finished it with the beets, cheese, and oranges.
It was almost exactly like the restaurant!  (Much cheaper!)


Salad with Yummy Cornbread Hits the Spot on a Spring Night!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin